Our mission is to provide meaningful study abroad opportunities in Italy in the context of a biblical Christian community.
Larry Peck, Director
Larry was born in Naples, Italy, to an Italian mom and an American dad. His dad served in the U.S. Navy so Larry spent about ten years of his early life in Italy. On his spiritual journey, Larry came to a crossroads during his junior year of college and made a decision to follow Jesus Christ; since then he hasn’t looked back. Larry’s hobbies include photography, a skill put to good use in Rome! Larry is not only the director of Rome with Purpose but is also one of our study abroad professors, teaching Cultural Perspectives. Larry and his wife, Debbie, worked as missionaries in Europe for 16 years (1999-2015) after living in Rhode Island for 19 years.
- Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 1972-1976; Bachelor of Science (Environmental Health)
- Columbia International University, Columbia, SC 1977-1980; Master of Divinity (Bible and Missions)
- Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA ; Ph.D. Instructional Design and Technology
Debbie Peck, Administrative Assistant
Debbie spent most of her growing up years in Burkina Faso, West Africa, until she attended Columbia International University. She has published two cookbooks and has taught dozens of people how to make fresh pasta and grilled pizzas, among other dishes in cooking classes throughout Europe and in the States. Debbie was seven years old when she decided to trust Christ as her Savior. She loves spending time with younger women–mentoring them not only about cooking, but about how to walk with God on a daily basis. Debbie is not one of the study abroad professors but she does teach weekly cooking classes at Rome with Purpose and manages the day-to-day schedules for meals, laundry, and extra-curricular events. Debbie has been married to Larry since 1979 and they have two adult children.
- Columbia International University, Columbia, SC 1972-1976; Bachelor of Science (Biblical Education)
- T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies 2015; eCornel Nutrition Certificate
Rome with Purpose Core Values
Rome with Purpose is a Christian study abroad company and we subscribe to the following core values:
- We serve our students by providing an environment where they can achieve their highest scholastic goals through study and strong mentoring relationships with our study abroad professors.
- We seek to honor God by faithfulness, trust, gratitude, and stewardship.
- We strive for excellence and competence so that our students learn to think critically in a global context.
- We seek to lead by example, as our study abroad professors and staff live out our faith in today’s global and post-Christian culture.
- We navigate by our biblical values, integrity, conviction, and confidence.
- We seek to excel in relationships through our credibility, our perseverance, and our love.
Rome with Purpose Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God without error in the original writings. (II Timothy 3:16)
- We believe in one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Isaiah 45:22, Romans 11:36)
- We believe that all men have sinned and come short of the glory of God; and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ is absolutely essential. (Romans 2:23, John 1:12, Titus 3:5)
- We believe in the deity and virgin birth our Lord Jesus Christ; that He died on the cross as a substitutionary sacrifice for the sin of the world, that He arose from the dead and ascended into heaven from where He will return with power and glory. (John 10:3, I Timothy 2:5,6, I Corinthians 15:3-4, Titus 2:13)
- We believe in the doctrine of justification by faith, realizing that it is impossible for man through works to save himself. (Romans 5:1, Ephesians 2:8-9)
- We believe in life after death; that “There shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust.” (Acts 24:15)
- We believe in the resurrection of the saved unto everlasting life in heaven and the resurrection of the unsaved unto eternal punishment. (I Thessalonians 4:16,17, II Thessalonians 1:7-9)